SWANA Releases 2023 Scholarship Applications
Deadline to Submit an Application is May 1 st
Students there are scholarship monies up for grabs!
The Atlantic Canada Chapter of SWANA is accepting applications for Grant H. Flint ($30,000)
and Dillon Consulting Limited ($5,000) scholarships.
Additionally, if you are currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution and apply for either or
both scholarships, you will be automatically considered for an Atlantic Canada Chapter
Grant H. Flint Scholarship
In support of its strategic value to support and provide industry education, SWANA has released
its Grant H. Flint Scholarship Awards Program applications for 2023.
SWANA will award up to $30,000 in scholarships to deserving students in calendar 2023.
Applications are accepted at three levels:
- Category I: high school seniors entering a four-year college or university program to be eligible, students must be sponsored by a family member who is a SWANA member
- Category II: College/university juniors or seniors (e.g., entering 3 rd , 4 th , or 5 th year) pursuing a degree in a field related to solid waste management – to be eligible, students must become a SWANA student member (which is free!)
- Robert P. Stearns/SCS Engineers: Full-time students entering or in graduate studies in a related area - to be eligible, students must become a SWANA student member (which is free!)
Click here to fill out the applications.
Students enrolled in a post-secondary institution can join SWANA for free, which is an additional
aspect of SWANA’s efforts to attract young people to the industry. For more information on a
SWANA student membership, go to https://swana.org/community/membership/student-
Dillon Consulting Limited Scholarship
The Canadian chapters of the Solid Waste Association of North America and Dillon Consulting Limited are pleased to offer the Dillon Consulting Limited Scholarship. The scholarship is to assist and encourage full time students at a Canadian university working towards an undergraduate or post-graduate degree which may lead to a future career in solid waste, recycling or sustainable resource management.
The scholarship of $5000 a year is generously funded by Dillon Consulting Limited. Dillon is a Canadian, employee-owned professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management.
To be eligible to apply for the Dillon Consulting Limited Scholarship a student must:
- Be a full-time student enrolled in a full course of studies (a four year undergraduate or a post-graduate program) leading to an undergraduate or post-graduate degree at a recognized post-secondary education institution in Canada, and
- Be enrolled in environmental science, engineering, resource management, public policy or other program which could reasonably lead to a career in solid waste management.
Click here to download the application.
Atlantic Canada Chapter Scholarship
The Atlantic Canada Chapter of SWANA will also issue a scholarship to an applicant(s) of the Category II, Robert P. Stearns/SCS Engineers, or Dillon Consulting Limited Scholarships.
- The Atlantic Canada Chapter will award up to $5,000 for one or multiple applicants
- at its discretion
- It is not a requirement to be a SWANA student member
- The Atlantic Canada Chapter expects the scholarship recipient(s) to:
- Become a free student SWANA member
- Promote SWANA and student membership at their institution
- The Atlantic Canada Chapter reserves the right not to issue an award at its sole discretion
How to Apply?
All applications with supporting documents are to be submitted to the Atlantic Canada Chapter
of SWANA by mail or email by May 2, 2023 to:
Atlantic Canada Chapter of SWANA Scholarship Committee Chair
PO BOX 1749, HALIFAX NS, B3J 3A5
The Atlantic Canada Chapter of SWANA will review all applications with intent to:
- Award an Atlantic Canada Chapter Scholarship Award.
- Nominate one candidate for the Category 1, Category 2, and Robert P. Stearns/SCS Engineers scholarships for consideration by SWANA’s International Scholarship Committee.
- Nominate one candidate for the Dillon Consulting Limited Scholarship for consideration by representatives of the Canadian Chapters of SWANA.
The Atlantic Canada Chapter of SWANA is comprised of a diverse collection of dedicated individuals working daily on waste management solutions, from all four Atlantic Canada provinces. Our 119 members are actively involved in the areas of solid waste resource
management including education, collection, transfer systems, processing, disposal, material recovery, recycling, reuse; as well as landfill engineering and operations. With the ever-changing solid waste-resource landscape, the goal of the Atlantic Canada Chapter is to assist
our members in meeting industry challenges, with specific industry training and to provide opportunity to effectively and professionally advance waste resource management through shared emphasis on education, safety and advocacy. For more information, visit atcanswana.org.
The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) is an organization of more than 10,000 public and private sector professionals committed to advancing from solid waste management to resource management through their shared emphasis on education, advocacy and research. For more than 60 years, SWANA has been the leading association in the solid waste management field. SWANA serves industry professionals through technical conferences, certifications, publications and a large offering of technical training courses. For more information, visit swana.org.